Wednesday Half Holiday A Team


2016 and a new captain. Guy Greene has taken the reigns aiming to close the gap on reigning champions, Ilkley.

The Wednesday team have traditionally yo-yo'd between Division 1 and Division Two with the occasional mid table finish in the 1st.  With the odd Divisional cup (Harold Hardaker) win to bhoy the squad. 

Bill Shackleton was a long standing captain of the team and had a mixture of players available to him from novices such as Pete Hepworth to the vastly experienced Ronnie Bowdin and Malcolm Whitham.  Bill's team lifted the Division 2 Cup in 2005 against Tarnfield A at Guiseley as well as taking the runners-up spot to go back into Division 1.

After a promising mid table finish in 2007 Bill decided it was time to hand over the reigns to Mike Wilson.  Unfortunately we suffered the ignomy of relegation in 2008 in tandem with our friends from Yeadon Park.

Mike was fortunate in in 2009 having some more experienced players available to him and the team fought Yeadon Park all season for the Division 2 championship, finally clinching it at Rufford in the last game of the season.  The team completed the Division 2 double by lifting the cup.  Due to other commitments, Mike had to hand the captaincy over to Eric Holmes after the successes.

Hopes were high that the team would be able to hold their own in Division 1 in 2010 and so it proved.  A comfortable 6th place mid table finish was satisfactory.

2011 became the 'nearly' season.  As the season reached its climax, 3 teams were in the running for the Division 1 title, Myrtle Park, Rawdon A and Rufford A.  Myrtle just missed out to Rufford on the final day to finish 2nd by a single point (although this was effectively 2 as Rufford had a superior points difference).  The blow was softened slightly by winning the Division 1 cup.....but only slightly.

Hopes were high that Myrtle would give Rufford A another run for their money in 2012.  However, a dramatic home defeat to Rufford proved to be Myrtle's downfall and the difference between the teams at the end of the season.  Myrtle kept pace with Rufford but were never able to close the gap.  Another runners up place was the result.  The highlight was retaining the Division 1 cup.

2013 was to prove a difficult one.  The loss of Steve Pickles who was suffering from ill health was too big a hurdle to overcome.  Allied to Ilkley strengthening their squad, there was only ever going to be one club to win the title.  Ilkley walked to the championship but Myrtle were unable to pass Rufford again and so we had to be content with a 3rd place finish.  The high point of the season was being the first team to beat the Ilkley All-Stars in a fantastic team performance.   



Please contact our Webmaster with questions or comments.
© Copyright 2003 Company Name, Inc.  All rights reserved.